Digital Perm at BeautyBrick

Got a new look and I’m lovin’ it.

I was itching to go to the salon earlier this week. It’s been ages since I’ve last visited Freshaire in Festival Mall, Alabang.

For years, I vouch for their best service and cheap rates. Although I have been blessed with fine and straight hair, I pay them a visit occasionally for straightening with cellophane. Cheaper than hair rebonding with the same result.

Now, I don’t have any idea on what to do with my hair since I just had a trim about two months ago. As to what service to avail for my hair, I have yet to decide until I encountered the magic word “digi perm“. Huh?!

Digital perming or digi perm or “hot” perming is a curling technique that originated in Japan.  It uses hot rods connected to a machine to regulate the temperature. Contrary to the traditional perm or cold perming, digi perm uses a different solution plus heat. Big curls, beach waves, luscious locks are best achieved with this kind of technique.

It started in Korea and was copyrighted in Japan. Now, who’s jealous over those cute Korean girls on facebook?

Since I’ve grown my hair to almost waist length, I don’t have the patience to use the curling iron anymore and I’m abstaining my way from any damaging products that will cause a panic to my crowning glory.

But digi perm, I can’t resist. Thanks to Mr. Gijin Shin of Beauty Brick Hair Art Studio.

BeautyBrick is located at Unit 103, 122 Dona Consolacion Bldg., Jupiter Street, Bel-Air, Makati, Philippines. This hip salon is owned by professional Korean Hair Stylist, Mr. Gijin Shin. He’s not well versed in English so he speaks Japanese to communicate with his Filipina assistant. His staff are all Filipinos and hands down to their service. I’d rate them 10/10 for being so accommodating and friendly. They even offered coffee and tea for mister and me.

The process took 3 hours. I guess it depends on how unruly or thick the hair is. Mine seemed to be on best behavior this time and cooperates well. I remember when it was still a virgin, confined from all the chemicals, the solution won’t settle easily unto my hair strands.

From my research most salons in Manila that offer digital perming are owned by Koreans. It is up to you to research well on it’s feedback. Prices range from 1,500 to a hefty 9,000 pesos.

A good hairstylist would offer to evaluate your hair. The strong solution might only damage a coarse hair, so it is best to communicate your concerns before getting into the hot seat.

The package includes a hair cut, keratin treatment and digital perming.

Channeling into Medusa

That’s me, all wired up. It looks scary at first being wired to a machine, but the end result is worth it. They used medium rods to achieve the natural looking waves.

I heard celebrities frequent here. Former Mayor Lito Atienza even came around to attend to someone seated beside me.

That’s Mr. Shin, groovy and all. To the right is the post picture, at home.

I like that my hair don’t smell like the usual solution used in normal perm. I just hope I could keep it up even on my wash and wear attitude.

29 Responses to "Digital Perm at BeautyBrick"

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Digital Perm at BeautyBrick | Surreal Princess -- Topsy.com

2. Mara

September 15, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Hope we could get photo updates on your hair 🙂

• Queen V

September 21, 2010 at 3:09 am

Hi Mara, I’ll be posting photo updates at surrealprincess fb page. hope you can follow 🙂

3. Sam

September 16, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Your hair looks absolutely fab! I love it! 🙂 Wish I could grow my hair longer so I can have it permed too. BTW, how long is the perm supposed to last?

• Queen V

September 21, 2010 at 3:06 am

Hi Sam, Thanks! I think it will last a year or so. Depends if you’re hair is super fine.

4. Karla

September 16, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Nice perm sis! ^_^ I also had my hair permed back then by Mr Shin (Ark Salon days) so I can vouch that he is really good. However, regular perm lang yun so I’m interested to try digiperm once humaba buhok ko. Please post hair updates 🙂

Btw, got your link from GT. Thanks for visiting my site too. 🙂

• Queen V

September 21, 2010 at 3:03 am

Hi Sis, thanks 🙂 I’ll post some pics at the surreal princess facebook page soon. 🙂

5. tsina

September 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I love your hair, sis! Super fab!!

• Queen V

September 21, 2010 at 2:55 am

Hi tsina, thanks! 🙂

6. missy s

October 19, 2010 at 11:00 pm

ive been itching to have my hair permed too. and having a straight hair is sometimes boring! thanks to your post. i might go and have my hair permed soon! 😀

• Queen V

October 30, 2010 at 8:31 pm

@missy, go girl! 🙂

7. Addycoh

October 28, 2010 at 1:13 am

Nice perm !! =)
    I wanted to perm my hair to, but Im trying to grew it much longer.
    is your hair really waist length before you try digiperm?
    its seemed like it was shorter or maybe because of the hair cut?

• Queen V

October 30, 2010 at 8:30 pm

@Addy -thanks 🙂 Sorry, it was still about 5 inches to my waist, then I had a haircut at the salon before they do the whole process.

8. Princess Santos

November 13, 2010 at 3:54 pm

hi! how much yung padigital perm mo?

9. tina

December 1, 2010 at 8:23 am

hi sis, how’s your hair na?is it still curly? was your hair rebonded, relaxed or straightened before you did the digiperm? mine was straightened and i wanted to have a digiperm, dunno if it would pass for under mr.shin. thanks.

• Queen V

January 29, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Hi tina,

I posted my current pic on facebook. 🙂 Mine has loosened up after just a month. It’s beachy wave when I style it but whenever not, which is most of the time, it gets annoying with every strand going the wrong way. 😛

10. ping

December 29, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Hi!

i really want to get a digiperm myself. thing is,my hair was rebonded a year ago. my sister, whose hair was also last year, tried digi perm. unfortunately, after the 5-hr long process, her hair dint curl. but i really want digi perm na. :)) you think mr shin can curl my hair? 🙂

• Queen V

January 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Depends kasi on hair type. Mine is naturally super straight. I like it when styled but unfortunately I’m a wash and wear gal and I find it hard to style now. And my curls are all loosened after just a month. I think it will work well with naturally wavy or curly hair.

11. Joni Benedictos

April 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I love your hair. How much is the cost of your hair? love it. >.<

12. Gae la

May 27, 2011 at 5:55 pm

How much did it cost you? pls answer 🙂 I’m so interested.

13. nabi

June 2, 2011 at 12:10 am

Hi I was wondering how much u paid for the service… kasi im torn if i should go to TOny and jackeys.. Im looking for cheaper alternatives kasi and i can see ur curls looks good.. i dont want the super twirl kasi i want it more of a beach wave curl.. i would appreciate an answer. Thank you 🙂

14. Trish Velasco

July 14, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Was your hair long when you had it permed? If so how much for digital perming of long hair at that salon?

• Queen V

January 22, 2012 at 2:15 am

Hi Trish, Yes I have long hair. almost waist length. it costs me around P3k i think.

15. CLIQUE

December 30, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Nice hair :)how much did it cost?

• Queen V

January 22, 2012 at 2:13 am

hi clique, thanks 🙂 it didn’t last that way though because i have a natural super straight hair. i think it costs me around 3k for the perm. hard to manage on my side.

16. Rachel

January 20, 2012 at 9:05 am

Hi~ I’d just like to ask if its possible to get my hair colored and digipermed at the same time? how much is their coloring services?

• Queen V

January 22, 2012 at 2:00 am

Hi Rachel, I’m not sure if you can do both at the same time, but if not, you can always do the hair coloring a week after 🙂

17. khatey

March 12, 2012 at 1:46 am

hi! im interested to try digiperming. i used to have thick strand, long, wavy curls but i had it rebonded last year. 8s been a year now, d wavy curls are starting to show up & 8 looks odd having a hair of half wavy curls and straight. i always wanted to try those beachy wave curls however, i wonder if this DGperm will work for my hair? please give me an advice…tnx ^^

18. Lillian

June 7, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I am sure this post has touched all the internet visitors, its
    really really fastidious piece of writing on building
    up new blog.